lunes, 21 de mayo de 2007

Córdoba and the Mesquita


Our first stop on the Andalucian tour was in Córdoba. We left Segovia at 6am on Wednesday morning (with a 20 minute walk, packing, and breakfast that means I was awake a 5am! Not an easy task for me). After a 5 hour bus ride, we arrived in Córdoba. We were only given 3-4 hours in this city. Just enough time to see the Mesquita (which is pictured above, I accidentally left my camera on the bus so this is not a Rachel original picture but it´s still the same place I visited), do a little shopping, and eat pizza at a very cute pizzaria. The Mesquita is, more or less, a Muslim meeting spot for prayers. However, when the Christians conquered Córoba they converted part of the Mesquita into a Cathedral. However the arquitecture is so clearly Muslim that a crucifix hanging on the wall seems out of place. The Mesquita has been my favorite Cathedral/Mosque we´ve visited so far. The Google picture does not give it justice. Then we packed ourselves back into the bus and enjoyed another 2 hour bus ride to Sevilla!

No hay comentarios: